There are so many control panel manufacturers it’s difficult to know how many unless you only care about control panel manufacturers that are certified to produce UL508A control panels. See UL508A third party safety approval for more details.
All control panel manufacturers certified to produce UL508A control panels appear in the UL online certification directory. A quick search indicates there are ~5,000 UL 508A Panel Shops and ~600 UL 698A Panel Shops
5 Types of Control Panel Manufacturers
Control Panel Manufacturers are like restaurants to a certain degree. There are so many to choose from. If you have a bad experience at your favorite you start looking for a new favorite. Some endure because they’re great. Others come and go because they’re only okay.
The great ones seem to provide great service without great effort. They obviously love what they do and always know and provide what you want. They get to know you and when you have a problem they find a way solve it quickly before it turns into a crisis. There are five basic types of Control Panel Manufacturers.
- Control Panel Manufacturers– Their primary business is producing control panels. The best ones know how Control System Integrators, Electrical Parts Distributors, Electrical Contractors, and Equipment Manufacturers work, but aren’t interested in performing their functions.
- Control System Integrators – A Control System Integrator’s primary business is understanding and implementing new control system installations. Some build control panels to complement their primary business. They want to increase their project sales.
- Electrical Parts Distributors – An Electrical Parts Distributor’s primary business is distributing parts. Some distributors sell control panel parts and build control panels to complement their primary business. They want to increase their control panel parts sales.
- Electrical Contractors – An Electrical Contractor’s primary business is installing electrical equipment and the wiring that interconnect them. Some build control panels to complement their primary business. They want to increase their project sales.
- Equipment Manufacturers – An Equipment Manufacturer’s primary business is understanding their markets and producing equipment for them. Some build control panels to complement their primary business. They want to increase their equipment sales.
3 Types of Control Panel Markets
Control Panels are used in control every piece of equipment in every industry so it’s difficult to effectively list all the markets and sub markets. Below are the broad control panel markets.
- Process Control – Includes applications where process instrumentation (Level, Pressure, Temperature, pH, etc.) and process equipment (Pumps, Blowers, Valves, etc,) is used to control fluids (Liquids, Air, Slurries, Powders, etc.) in an industrial process.
- Machine Control -Includes applications where machine automation sensors (Position, Speed, Pressure, Temperature, etc.) and machine automation equipment (Conveyors, Actuators, etc,) is used to control solids (Sheets, Blocks, Boxes, Tubes, etc.) in an industrial machine.
- Building Controls – Includes applications where building automation sensors (Fire, Security, Temperature, etc.) and building automation equipment (Fire, Security, HVAC, etc,) is used to control the operation of a building.