If you need some help Contact Us and we’ll do our best to assist. We hope you’ll decide to select us as your control panel company, but shop around. Talk to several companies. When compared to others, I think you’ll find we provide the best balance of Quality, Price and Delivery.
Understand what’s important before you begin
Some people think all panels and panel shops are alike. They see panels as commodities, so they only look for low price. Price is always important, but it’s not the only thing to consider. Ideally, you want a company that specializes in producing the types of control panels you’re looking for, and provides the level of service you need. Before you start decide how you’ll determine if they’re a good fit for your company. Here are a few things I think about when I interview a new vendor.
- Do I like the person who’ll be my primary interface with the company ?
- Do I like how the company does business ?
- Do their products and services meet or exceed my expectations ?
- How will they perform in a crisis ? If a problem arises, will they get involved and solve the problem quickly, or will they avoid me and hope the problem solves itself before they have to get involved ?
Think about the questions you might ask
Ask each company about their history, their business focus, their geographical service area, and any other questions you can think of. Don’t assume anything. Test their knowledge of your applications and equipment, and see if they provide the level of service you’re looking for. Here are a few potential questions to consider.
- Did they start out in another business and kind of back into the control panel business ?
- Do they build control panels as a means of supporting their other business (Sheet Metal Fabrication, Parts Distributor, Electrical Contractor, Systems Integrator, etc.) ?
- Do they specialize in serving a specific market (Residential, Commercial, Industrial) ?
- Do they specialize in serving a specific geographic area (Local, Regional, National) ?
- Are they a UL certified (UL508A) production facility ?
- How fast can they produce a quote ?
- How fast can they produce PDF Submittal Documentation for Review and Approval prior to production ?
- Cover Sheet / Table of Contents
- Product Datasheets for all provided parts
- Physical Layout / Electrical Power and Controls Schematic / Field Connection drawings
- Bill of Materials with Device Identification that can be cross referenced to drawings
- What is their standard delivery time after Submittal Approval ?
- What are their standard shipping terms ?
- Do they use a Freight Broker for truck shipments ?
What kind of control panel do you need ?
Engineered Control Panels have a flexible design to meet your specific needs, or application, or piece of equipment. The next control panel for the same application or piece of equipment will be similar, but most likely won’t be identical. The incoming voltage may be different, or the horsepower, or the option set, or a new customer may want your panel produced to their panel standards. They can be produced in low volumes at a low cost and their flexible design allows you to make changes without significantly impacting price or delivery.
Commodity Control Panels have a fixed design for only one application (residential pump panels, alarm panels, etc.). The next panel will be identical to the last panel. They can be produced in high volumes at an extremely low cost, but their fixed design can’t be changed without significantly impacting price or delivery. Changing anything (no matter how simple) makes it an engineered control panel.